Friday, May 17, 2013

Braces off + more surgery

hey bloggers! Too much has happened since my last post so let me give a quick recap. I got my braces off April 10th. It totally hurt like I thought it would, my mouth was a bloody mess and my teeth became uber sensitive from all of the glue removal.  After a couple of weeks of sensodyne things started feeling somewhat better. I wear my retainer up top all of the time and the bottom just at night.
On April 23 I had a septoplasty and sinus surgery.  I have been battling sinus infections since my jaw surgery and this just needed to happen. Not nearly even on the same level as jaw surgery but  still surgery nonetheless.  i had splints in my septum for a week and this was the worst part. I literally couldn't breathe out of my nose at all/very well for a week.  I'm healing ok from all of this although I'm still worried because I'm having the same mucous issues and weird sensations on the left sinus area or right where one of the plates and screws are. The drs are telling me that the nose is still healing and things will get better but I am uncertain at this point.
So last week as I was flossing my teeth I took a closer look and saw that one of my bottom teeth had shifted forward. Really, it moved.  Back to the ortho I went where they confirmed the tooth had moved and cut some holes in my bottom retainer to force the tooth back the other way. Unbelievable.  In two weeks I go back to get another retainer.
I can't believe it has been 10 months since my surgery. Would you believe that I still miss my old face? Crazy right? Chewing with all of my teeth is still such a weird sensation for me. The way the surgery made my cheeks fill out is something I'm still getting used to. I've been told so many times that I don't look any different but I see so many differences. The jaw surgery has done so many good things and I'm still thinking of the old me...it's so lame, I know.
I will post some pics of my teeth soon. I hope all of you are well
Erin

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. I'm 13 days post op and it's hard to accept the new changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you still check this blog, but I'm waiting for the ok to finalize surgery dates and would be interested to hear how you honestly feel a few years out. I'm gathering from most blogs, that I'll have mixed feelings! Sometimes it seems to be trading in old problems for new ones, but most jaw bloggers don't give the next chapter once life starts to feel normal again!;). Hope things have improved for you! Thank you for sharing parts of your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you still check this blog, but I'm waiting for the ok to finalize surgery dates and would be interested to hear how you honestly feel a few years out. I'm gathering from most blogs, that I'll have mixed feelings! Sometimes it seems to be trading in old problems for new ones, but most jaw bloggers don't give the next chapter once life starts to feel normal again!;). Hope things have improved for you! Thank you for sharing parts of your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete